Whilst looking into RC Transmitters, I realised that there are a lot of DIY projects out there, which, as well as being substantially cheaper than a commercial RC transmitter, are also rather educational and fun projects. Some are more complex than others, with some covering the entire RC system, while others, employing commercial Tx and Rx modules (i.e. FrSky DJT and D8R-II plus), just cover the transmitter controls and interpretation of the received signals.
Build your own R/C Transmitter
- Analog 3-Axis Joystick, £29.99
- 3D Controller Joystick Axis Analog Sensor Module Replacement Part for Xbox360 CG, £0.99
- DYS Joystick Controller for SimpleBGC 3 Axis Basecam Gimbal Controller HHG-JS, £9.50
- 1pc JoyStick Breakout Module Shield For PS2 Game Controller For Arduino SY, £0.99
Instructables – Using two Arduinos, AtoZ of RC hobby+DIY radio with ARDUINO – Step 5: DIY Transmitter
See the blog, RC Transmitters – DIY – arduinorc.
- Code and circuit: Hobbyking 6ch tx arduino computer update
This is really at the Rx end, and is the basis of a flight controller, or in this case, a robot controller, comes with three code examples:
- SparkFun – RC Hobby Controllers and Arduino
Option 9 – RC Tractor guy
RC Tractor Guy uses a joystick shield
See RC Tractor Guy’s blog, Basic Arduino Based RC Controller Library
In his video prior to the above, he makes a more complete two joystick control, which is not a shield:
A chap with a car and a drone