This article original started off life in Kossel 3D Printer, but was moved to a separate blog, as the section became too large and has nothing particularly to do with Kossel printers, and is about hotends in general.
What is a hotend?
Put simply, a hotend is a device which melts plastic filament and then deposits the melted plastic through a nozzle.
How can I get a hotend?
You can buy a fully assembled hotend, be it either an expensive proved design, such as the E3D v6 for $80, or a cheap Chinese copy from eBay, for $8. You may ask what is the difference? That is a good question…
Alternatively, you can make one yourself, from the separate components, see Can cheap hotend parts sourced from China actually produce good prints?
What are the types of hotend?
There are a number of types:
What are the components of a hotend?
The following components make up a hotend:
- PTFE insert for the throat
- Pneumatic connector
- Fan enclosure
- PTFE Bowden tube
What is the cost?
The individual components cost around 99 cents each, when bought individually, so a total of $12. However, if you buy bulk, or get a lucky auction on eBay, you can get parts for as little as 25 cents or even 1 cent! At a dollar for each component, then a cheap Chinese combination for 8 dolars is cheaper. Normally the fan assembly adds significantly to the price.
Various Hotends and parts
An E3D V6 Hotend should be used, de rigeur. However, if you are looking for a cheap(er) option:
- Clearance Sale! All Metal Bowden Extruder J-head hotend MakerBot Kossel Delta, $6.99 (£5.42) – this comes without heater, nor thermistor.
- This is a cheaper option (without the fan – as this, inexplicably wacks up the price): Clearance Sale New Assembled All Metal J-head Prusa Mendel Kossel Delta extruder, $7.99 (£6.20) (with fan $27.00 (£20.95)), as it includes heater and thermistor.
- [SINTRON] 3D Printer All Metal J-Head Bowden Hotend Kossel Prusa i3 Reprap, $19.95 (on offer, normally $24.95) (£15.48), complete with PFTE tube.
- Very cheap, for 3 mm filament:
- 1M Long 3D Printer J-head Hotend 3.0mm v6 Extruder 0.4mm Nozzle Kit, £6.85 (on offer, normally £7.29)
- 1M Long 3D Printer J-head Hotend 3.0mm v6 Extruder 0.3mm Nozzle Kit, £6.85 (on offer, normally £7.29)
- 3D Printer E3D V6 J-head Hotend 1.75mm Filament Bowden Extruder Nozzle 0.4mm, £4.37 (not sure if has the fan, unlikely)
- New 3D Printer J-head Head Hotend Extruder Nozzle-0.4mm filament-1.75mm RepRap, US $4.89 Approximately £3.78
- 3D Printer J-head V6 Hotend 1.75mm/0.3mm Nozzle Tube Extruder DIY Kit, £6.70
- Does NOT ship to Thailand, not the cheapest, mentioned only as an option and comparison, Metal J-head Hotend 3D V6 Bowden 1.75mm/3mm Extruder Makerbot Reprap 3D Printer, $9.53 (on offer, normally $10.59) (£7.39).
- Hotend All Metal Bowden V6 extruder J-head For Makerbot Reprap 3D printer swuk, £6.73 (1.75 mm filament, 0.3 mm nozzle, PTFE tube and fan)
- J-head Hotend V6 extruder All Metal Bowden For Makerbot Reprap 3D printer LL, £6.70 (for 3/1.75 mm filament, 0.3/0.4/0.5 mm). (0.2 mm nozzle available for 1.75 mm filament (out of stock)) – cheapest for 0.2 mm – I ordered this, but it did not arrive. Other suppliers are cheaper, for different nozzle sizes.
- Hotend All Metal Bowden V6 extruder J-head For Makerbot Reprap 3D printer WCL, C $10.44 Approximately £6.25 – cheapest, apart from below:
- Hotend Wade Direct Extruder 0.5mm with Fan 1.75mm Filament for 3D Printer, £5.71 – Not sure why it says “PTFE tube: Can not connect with bowden tube”
3 in 1
- Geeetech new 3 in 1 out Hotend Extruder mix color for Kossel prusa Imprimante 3D, EUR 37.50 (£31.78) + Free
- 0.3/0.4/0.5mm Copper Nozzle Extruder Print Head HotEnd for Makerbot 1.75/3mm, £1.18
- 0.3/0.4/0.5mm Copper Nozzle Extruder Print Head HotEnd for MK8 Makerbot 1.75/3mm, £1.18
- Spare M6 nozzle for All Metal J head V2.0 hotend Extruder Reprap Prusa Mendel, £2.69
- 1PCS 3D Printer 0.4mm Brass Nozzle JHead Hot End Makerbot, £3.99
- 3pcs 0.5mm Brass Nozzle Print Head for 3mm Filament 3D Printer Extruder HotEnd, £2.69
- M10*1.0 Full Thread Brass Nozzle 0.3/0.4mm for Extruder HotEnd 3D Printer, £4.88
- M10 Thread Brass Nozzle 0.3mm 0.4mm for Extruder HotEnd Getech Reprap 3D Printer, £4.88
- 3D Printer 0.2mm+0.3mm+0.4mm Brass Nozzle JHead Hot End Makerbot, £6.99
M6 *26 mm, 1.75 mm filament
- Stainless Steel Nozzle Throat Fr Reprap 3D Printer Extruder Hot End 1.75mm M&C, £0.99
- 2x Stainless Steel Nozzle Throat Fr Reprap 3D Printer Extruder Hot End 1.75mm, £0.99
- 5PCS Barrel M6 X 30 Nozzle for MK8 Tube 3D Printer Extruder Hot End, £1.13
- Five types, Hot V6 Heat Break Hotend Throat Teflon Tube for 1.75/3mm Filament 3D Printer WBC or Hot V6 Heat Break Hotend Throat Teflon Tube for 1.75/3mm Filament 3D Printer BBC, C $0.99 Approximately THB24.95/£0.60
- 1.75 mm
- 3 mm
- 1.75 mm through hole
- 3 mm teflon tube
- 4.1 through hole improved edi…
- In bulk, Stainless Steel V6 Heat Break 1.75/3mm Filament Hotend Throat for 3D Printer, US $3.61/4.88, Approximately £2.81/3.80 for 5/10 pcs (£0.56/0.38 each)
Teflon PTFE tubes
There are short inner tubes available for the hotend throats, but it is cheaper to purchase a meter of PTFE tubing and cut to length
- Spare 27.5mm PTFE tube Teflon tubing pipe for Arduino hotend extruder Jhead, US $1.90 Approximately £1.47 Normally US $4.20
- V6 Extruder Metal Heat Sink For 1.75 3mm Proximity Remote J-Head 3D Printer FT, £1.15
- 1.75/3mm Filament all metal V5 J-head Bowden Heatsink remote 3D Printer Hotend, C $2.29 Approximately £1.31
- 1.75/3mm V6 Throat Hotend Stainless Steel Remote Feeding Extruder Heatsink, AU $2.55 Approximately £1.49
- 3D Printer Extruder Heatsink for J-head Hotend 1.75mm 3.0mm Nozzle Extruder, £1.68
There are at least two type, one of which has a split (and can have one or two locking screws (E3D V6 and Volcano respectively)), and one does not and which is solid (MakerBot, MK7/MK8):
- HOT For 3D Printer E3D V5 Extruder Nozzle Heater Block Hot End Aluminium Part, £1.19
- 1pcs 16x16x12mm 3D printer hotend black aluminum heating block for V5 J-head, US $0.991 bid, Approximately £0.76
- Aluminum Heater Block 3D Printer Parts Accessories Extruder For HotEnd E3D V6, £0.69
- Volcano Metal Hot End Eruption Heater Block Heating For 3D Printer Accessories, £0.77
Comes in 12 V or 24 V, and 30 W or 40 W:
- 1pcs Heater Cartridge Wire hotend 6x20mm 40W 12V/24V for 3D Printer parts, US $1.49, Approximately £1.15
- Reprap 24v 40W Ceramic Cartridge Wire Heater For Arduino 3D Printer Prusa Mendel, US $0.99 Approximately £0.77
- Reprap 12v 40W Ceramic Cartridge Wire Heater For Arduino 3D Printer Prusa Mendel, US $0.99 Approximately £0.77
- 12V 30W Ceramic Cartridge Wire Heater For Arduino 3D Printer Prusa Reprap, US $0.99 Approximately £0.77
- 12V/24V 30W/40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater for Arduino 3D Printer Heating Element, US $1.16 – 0.99 Approximately £0.90 – 0.77
- This is a bit of a bargain, 12V 1.75mm 0.4mm MK8 Nozzle Extruder Filament HotEnd for Prusa i3 3D Printer New, US $3.79 Approximately £2.92