After watching Balance Charging: Can you parallel charge?, I realised that I needed a clamp meter. But which one?
I had already purchased a UNI-T UT71D DMM, see Choosing which Multimeter to buy, and I was very happy with it, so the UNI-T clamp meter seemed a logical choice. Everyone seems to have the UNI-T 210E. However, there are a myriad of other options.
- There is a cheap version of the UT210E, NKTECH NK210E on eBay, NKTECH NK210E Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter AC DC Volt AC A Res VS UNI-T UT210E, £13.68, but does not appear to do DC current
- Which UNI-T clamp meter to buy?
- UT216D, same as UT216C, but with OLED. 60A/600A. Only UT216C has DC, down to 10 mA
- UT211B – no inrush
- UT207/208 have inrush and 208 has temp
- Which uni-t clamp meter is everyone using?
- UNI-T UT210D – no low current, up to 200A
- UNI-T UT204
- UT210E has low current 2A (1mA), only up to 100A, 2000 display counts
- UT211B – more stable than UT210E, 6000 display counts, worth the exta cost
- UNI-T UT210E True RMS AC/DC Current Clamp Meter Unboxing
- EEVblog #712 – Uni-T UT71E Multimeter (Why Uni-T Meters Suck) – UT71E, but only complains about the power measurement.
- UT216c ADC – shows some problems – in Russian
- UNI-T UT216C 600A True RMS Digital Clamp Meters, $54.80
- UNI-T UT216D Digital Clamp Meters 600A True RMS OLED Display AC/DC Tempreture te, $95.20
- UNI-T UT211B 60A True RMS Mini Clamp Meter AC DC Amp Volt Ohm Capacitance Tester, $60
- UNI-T UT210E Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter Handheld RMS AC DC Resistanc, $30
Hacking the UT210E
Unfortunately, not many UNI-TREND clamp meters do DC current. The main contenders are:
- UT216C is the best (features wise), and most expensive, but does not have very low currents (10mA) up to 600A
- UT210E is very popular, low currents (1 mA) up to 2/20/100A. 2000 display counts
- UT211B better stability than 210E (1mA) up to 6/60A. 6000 display counts, but twice the price of the UT210E.
So, following the crowd, the smart money is on the UT210E, and hacking it…
I encountered two main issues:
- I have ordered this item twice on eBay, from sellers offering the device for <£20 and both times the item fails to appear
- Some listings state: ZB-UT210E Clamp Meter. Is this some sort of knock off, even though the images seem legit. ZB stands for ZIBOO, and I’m not sure if this is some sort of rebranding/rebadging.