After watching Balance Charging: Can you parallel charge?, I realised that I needed a clamp meter. But which one?
I had already purchased a UNI-T UT71D DMM, see Choosing which Multimeter to buy, and I was very happy with it, so the UNI-T clamp meter seemed a logical choice. Everyone seems to have the UNI-T 210E. However, there are a myriad of other options.
- There is a cheap version of the UT210E, NKTECH NK210E on eBay, NKTECH NK210E Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter AC DC Volt AC A Res VS UNI-T UT210E, £13.68, but does not appear to do DC current
- Which UNI-T clamp meter to buy?
- UT216D, same as UT216C, but with OLED. 60A/600A. Only UT216C has DC, down to 10 mA
- UT211B – no inrush
- UT207/208 have inrush and 208 has temp
- Which uni-t clamp meter is everyone using?
- UNI-T UT210D – no low current, up to 200A
- UNI-T UT204
- UT210E has low current 2A (1mA), only up to 100A, 2000 display counts
- UT211B – more stable than UT210E, 6000 display counts, worth the exta cost
- UNI-T UT210E True RMS AC/DC Current Clamp Meter Unboxing
- EEVblog #712 – Uni-T UT71E Multimeter (Why Uni-T Meters Suck) – UT71E, but only complains about the power measurement.
- UT216c ADC – shows some problems – in Russian
- UNI-T UT216C 600A True RMS Digital Clamp Meters, $54.80
- UNI-T UT216D Digital Clamp Meters 600A True RMS OLED Display AC/DC Tempreture te, $95.20
- UNI-T UT211B 60A True RMS Mini Clamp Meter AC DC Amp Volt Ohm Capacitance Tester, $60
- UNI-T UT210E Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter Handheld RMS AC DC Resistanc, $30
Hacking the UT210E
From this post, Kerry Wong is referred to,
16h – “OL” limit for DCV.
17h – “OL” limit for DCA.
18h – Alarm/beep limit for DCV.
For each of those, limit = value * 10V.
- Kerry Wong’s translation of the main IC’s datasheet:
- Chinese datasheet, which was shared by user Puomjw in the thread of Russian forum that has been discussed earlier.
Kerry Wong is also mentioned in my pocket DMM blog, Pocket DMM.
2.0 mm header pins
As stated in the video above, Ep 41 UNI-T UT210E DMM reprogramming, 2.0 mm (not 2.54 mm) pins and connectors are required, for the programming connections, as the standard 2.54 mm female DuPont connectors will not fit. Such as 200PCS 2mm 2.0mm 5Pin 5P Dupont Connector Dupont Plug Dupont Jumper Wire Cable Housing Pin Header.
I also came across a big bag of 2.0 mm pins when trying to buy bulk, on eBay (initially I thought that it was a mistake in the description), 2.0MM Pitch Single/Double Row Straight Male Pin Header Strip 2*40P 1*40P
- UT210C/D/E, PDF: UT210C.D.E-English Manual (3.5MB)
- Uni-T site: link (11.5 MB)
Unfortunately, not many UNI-TREND clamp meters do DC current. The main contenders are:
- UT216C is the best (features wise), and most expensive, but does not have very low currents (10mA) up to 600A
- UT210E is very popular, low currents (1 mA) up to 2/20/100A. 2000 display counts
- UT211B better stability than 210E (1mA) up to 6/60A. 6000 display counts, but twice the price of the UT210E.
So, following the crowd, the smart money is on the UT210E, and hacking it…
I encountered two main issues:
- I have ordered this item three or more on eBay, from sellers offering the device for <£20 and both times the item fails to arrive, and a paypal dispute ensues. So there are a lot of scammers out there, w.r.t. the UT210e. The most reliable seller seems to be aonehere1997. UNI-T UT210E Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter Handheld RMS AC/DC Mini Resistanc
- Some listings state: ZB-UT210E Clamp Meter. Is this some sort of knock off, even though the images seem legit. ZB stands for ZIBOO, and I’m not sure if this is some sort of rebranding/rebadging.