I have already touched upon this in GameBoy Flashers, however I want to make cheap GameBoy flash cartridges using commercially available items…
- Not related to the cartridge per se, but interesting read with respect to Flashers, A look into the GB Smart 16M Flash Cart – Inspecting the Multi-game Menu, Adding Flashing support and a Basic Menu Maker
In GameBoy Flashers I mentioned this:
You could make your own programmable cartridges using recycled commercial cartridges: GameBoy Cartridge Reader and Writer by Reiner Ziegler
However, I want to make the cartridges which CatSkull sell for $10, 32k Gameboy Flash Cart, or at least see if I can source them cheaper than the already low price of $10.
The components can be seen here:
Basically a GameBoy cartridge shell and a Flash ROM card.
The shells can be found on AliExpress easily and cheaply enough:
- YGCDO 2 PCS Replacement Empty Game Shell Cart Cartridge For Game Boy For GB Game Boy Console, £2.17
- 1piece E-house for Nintendo GameBoy Series Game Cartridge Housing Shell Replacing Cover Case for GB GBC for GBA SP, £0.84 -£1.08 + £0.25
- FZQWEG 10 pcs Replacement Case For GBA SP Game Cartridge Housing Shell For GB GBC Card Case Gray, £4.66 +£1.55
- H 10pcs Replacement Game Cartridge Plastic Shell housing Case for Game Boy Console, £5.12 +£0.82
- Cheap, 10 PCS Hard Card Shell For Gameboy Advance Color Game Cartridge Housing Shell for GBA GBC Game Card Housing, £5.43 (£0.54 each)
- Cheaper, 30pcs For GB GBC GBA SP Game Cartridge Housing Shell Case Pack Replacing W/ Screw £12.33 +£0.49 (£0.42 each)
- Cheapest, 50pcs/lot Hot Sale Gray Clear Green Replace Game Cartridge Case Housing Box Shell For GameBoyColor Cover Boy Color GBO DMG Card, £20.25+£0 (£0.40 each)
- 100pcs/lot Gray Clear Transprent Green Replace Game Cartridge Case Housing Shell For GameBoyColor Cover Boy Color Advance Card, £47.86+£0
- Soooo ridiculously overpriced it is laughable, 200pcs Replace Game Cartridge Case Housing Box Shell For Nintendo GameBoy For GB for GBC for GBA SP, £118.54+£0
However, the card itself is rather difficult to find:
The markings on it are (I think):
Q.C. ROM 18755 1003300437
The IC is also rather unidentifiable from the photos.
See video: 32k Gameboy Flash Cart for a demonstration.
Interestingly, the Inside Gadgets page for the GBxCart RW (Gameboy/GBC/GBA Cart Reader/Writer) lists the Catskull 32k cartridge as
• Catskull / DIY 32K (AM29F010B, SST39SF010A, AT49F040) [Audio or WR as WE pin] – 32KByte