I wanted to replace the SuperDrive of my 15″ 2.4 GHz (SR) MBP, with a 2.5″ hard drive caddy… should be pretty easy, no?
Be sure to purchase a 9.5 mm and not 12.7 mm
This, 2nd PATA/IDE HDD SSD Caddy for Mid Late 2007 MA895LL MA896LL MB062LL Macbook Pro, 413.19 (£7.94), was my initial purchase, 29/12/2019. As can be seen it was rather over priced, and I fell for the MacBook Pro name in the item’s title. It was also faulty.
I bought a Seagate Back Plus Slim 2 TB to put in the caddy.
Replacing the SuperDrive
Extremely easy, following this guide:
MacBook Pro 15″ Core 2 Duo Models A1226 and A1260 Optical Drive Replacement
Checking caddy was faulty
- Checked the Seagate drive
- Checked caddy with a different hard drive (1 TB SSD)
- Checked caddy with a different cable
I didn’t check it with a different MBP… the board could be defective. Although, it would be possible to check be putting the SuperDrive back in.
However, the caddy was dead, so I purchased a new one.
Caddies on AliExpress
- TISHRIC Aluminum 9.5/12.7mm SATA 3.0 2.5″ /SATA to PATA IDE 2nd HDD Caddy Enclosure Adapter DVD HDD Hard Case For CD Optibay 187.13 + 57.19
- CHIPAL Aluminum SATA to PATA IDE 2nd HDD Caddy 12.7MM 9.5MM for 2.5″ SSD Hard Disk Case HD Enclosure for Laptop DVD-ROM CD-ROM 250.44 + free (normally 317 baht). I purchased this item.
- TISHRIC Aluminum 9.5mm/12.7mm SATA to PATA IDE 2nd HDD Caddy 2.5″ SATA 3.0 SSD Hard Drive Enclosure For Laptop DVD-ROM Optibay 197.61 + 56.59